Sunday, October 30, 2011

One of my Favorite Topics

 Homosexuality.

Many people say they are very open minded about this, and for the most part, they are true. Many are accepting of it. But are they really understanding of it?

When we see a man with a certain tone of voice or taste in fashion, or sometimes even body shape, we wonder if he is gay. Most of us do not accuse; we just wonder. And there is nothing wrong with wondering.

But this shows we do not understand. Because to look at clothes, or hair, or a voice, on a butch woman and guess her to be a lesbian shows we equate homosexuality as pertaining to clothes, hair, or voice. Which it doesn't.


Let me re-educate you: Homosexuality (or bisexuality, in my case) is not how you act, but who you love. It is who your body chooses to respond to; something completely out of our control, which we can't choose.

All of us make this mistake though. Even I do sometimes. But we must remind ourselves it isn't correct. For example, I told my mom that for my senior year, I want to end with a bang by entering homecoming king thing. All I would need to do is get signatures, so no one would know I was a girl, and most people can't tell my gender anyway (I tricked maybe 5 more people that first week of school).

But mom said I wasn't allowed to do that, because of my sexuality. She went on about how some people really had to struggle with their sexuality, and that I would be making fun of them. She is not at all against me being bi; she is just concerned.

Which is a valid point: except for the fact that this is again equating dress and being 'homecoming king' as being gay. That is again, a stereotype. I want to try for homecoming king because I could actually pass off as a guy, and I love wearing tuxes (I have since I was 3, before I was bi). If I wanted to do it because of my pride (which I have in surplus amounts, though I rarely tell anyone because I don't want to make them uncomfortable), then I wouldn't hide my gender or try to pass off as a guy.

Yes, some homosexuals like to show off their pride by dressing like the opposite sex, or maybe because they feel more like the opposite sex, but that isn't standard behavior for homosexuals. Not every religious person is a heretic-hating extremeist. Not every homosexual is a cross-dresser. I have nothing against them, I am just discontinuing a stereotype.

As much as I am attarcted to women, I am still a girl. I feel those heart-beat moments, and get all lovey, and pretty much act like a typical girl when I am in love. The only difference is I'm not allowed to gossip about my love life in public.

Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment